COVID-19 thwarted summer vacation plans last year, but the 2021 summer travel season is poised for a significant rebound. Although tourist attractions and theme parks have reopened across much of the country, many leisure travelers are still avoiding crowded spaces. It is impossible to social distance in vacation hot-spots like Times Square in New York City, the Magnificent Mile in Chicago and Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco.
Instead, leisure travelers are turning to off-the-beaten-path locations lacking crowds and congestion. Outdoor vacations, the family trips we enjoyed as children, are popular once again.
Elite Jets already is booking charter flights for this summer on its fleet of Phenom 300 and Legacy 500 luxury aircraft. Our travel experts often are asked about destinations for romantic getaways, memorable family trips and places where travelers can unplug. This year, our suggestions also include locales far away from crowds and congestion or hustle and bustle.
Below are five socially distanced domestic destinations that are popular for the summer 2021 travel season:
Rocky Mountain Retreat
- Location: Telluride, Colorado
- Description: Telluride is best known as a snow ski town for affluent visitors. During the summer, outdoor enthusiasts enjoy biking, hiking, fishing, horseback riding and tubing down mountain streams and rivers. Golfers appreciate Telluride’s high elevation, which adds 15% more carry onto their drives.
- Getting there: Denver International Airport is nearly a seven-hour drive from Telluride, and the nearest commercial flights land 65 miles away at Montrose Regional Airport. Elite Jets flies directly into Telluride Regional Airport, which has one of the most picturesque landing strips in the world.
Quintessential New England
- Location: Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket, Massachusetts
- Description: Just south of Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket represent New England seaside villages of the past. Life here moves at a slower pace. Victorian cottages, cobblestone streets, seafood shacks and ice cream parlors still define the islands.
- Getting there: The lack of access is a blessing and curse for the islands. A limited number of commercial flights generally connect through Boston or New York, and many visitors opt for ferries from the mainland. Elite Jets flies directly into Martha’s Vineyard Airport and Nantucket Memorial Airport.
- Location: Napa, California
- Description: Wine Country has more than 800 wineries, the majority of which are in Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley. Beyond vineyard tours and tastings, the region also is known for innovative cuisine, quaint boutiques and posh resorts. The region’s renowned vintners often are featured at the Naples Winter Wine Festival and Southwest Florida Wine & Food Fest.
- Getting there: San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento and San Jose airports are at least a 90-minute drive from Wine Country. Elite Jets flies directly into Napa County Airport or Sonoma County Airport, putting passengers at vineyards within minutes.
Sun and Fun
- Location: Hilton Head, South Carolina
- Description: The Hilton Head area has nearly three dozen championship golf courses woven into natural surroundings, including oceanfront and parkland settings. The island also boasts 12 miles of sugar-like white sand beaches and often is mentioned as one of America’s top family-friendly beach destinations.
- Getting there: Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport is the region’s largest airport, requiring connections through Charlotte, Atlanta or other hubs. Elite Jets flies directly into Hilton Head Island Airport, located just minutes from beachfront resorts.
National Park Pilgrimage
- Location: Northwest U.S.
- Description: U.S. News & World Report ranks Yosemite, Yellowstone and Glacier as its top three national parks. Each offers breathtaking, postcard-like views of mountains, valleys, rivers and lakes. The parks are zoos without cages, full of bison, bears, elk, sheep, deer and many other species.
- Getting there: Traveling commercially to the parks is difficult because of their remote location. The region’s largest airports can be hours away. Elite Jets flies directly into smaller regional airports like Mammoth Yosemite Airport (California), Yellowstone Airport (Montana) and Glacier Park International Airport (Montana).
Ready to book your socially distanced summer vacation? Please give us a call at 239-900-9000, email Charter@EliteJets.com or complete our Quick Quote Form.